This course focuses specifically on preparing a student for an upcoming examination. These exams can include:
- Cambridge Examinations: KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- TOEIC (Test of English for International communication)
- G-MAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test)
- Business Examinations. For example, BEC or LCCI exams
- Examinations at home in a student’s own country. For example, school-leaving exams, university entrance exam, or teacher training exams.
Lessons focus on improving a student’s general language skills and exam technique and include regular timed practices of specific sections of the chosen exam and full mock (practice) exams. Materials used can include published exam practice materials, past papers, and other carefully selected materials.
We cater for all levels, ranging from absolute beginners through to advanced.
Course Length & Start Dates
The minimum course length is one week. There is no maximum course length.
We do not have any set start dates. Just pick the best date to suit you and we'll almost always be able to meet your request. The only exceptions to this rule are public holidays. If a public holiday falls during the course, then with the agreement of the student and teacher, this may be a lesson-free day, with the hours to be made up on other days before the course ends. There is no obligation, however, on the teacher to work on a public holiday. Public holiday dates for 2014 are 01/01, 18/04, 21/04, 05/05, 26/05, 25/08, 25/12 and 26/12.
We offer a flexible teaching programme. Students can choose from just 10 to 30+ hours of tuition per week. Lesson timings are flexible, and are to be agreed between the teacher and student. Generally, lessons take place in the morning, which frees up the afternoon and evening for private study and leisure activities, but this of course may be changed with the agreement of teacher and student.
The methods used in any particular class are dictated by the student’s needs and targets, and in one-to-one classes these can be refined further by the student’s own personality and learning style. By combining the professional care and attention that our teachers give to each individual student with appropriate course books and materials we hope to assist each student to achieve these targets. However, in all cases, in addition to the student’s own targets we will also aim to build their confidence and fluency in English by encouraging them to communicate actively with their teacher in and out of lessons.
As with all one-to-one classes, the student’s own needs and learning targets (as expressed at the time of booking and refined in early discussion with the teacher) dictate the syllabus. The course objective is to meet these targets as closely as possible within the time allowed, bearing in mind the initial language level of the student.
- The minimum enrolment age for this course is 10. There is no maximum age
- All books and other learning materials are provided by the teacher and are free of charge
- One-on-One classes have a maximum class size of 1
- Full board and accommodation is included in the course fees