Our General English courses follow a syllabus which is designed to help students develop fluency and confidence when communicating in English and improve their abilities in the four main skills of speaking, writing, reading and listening. We also encourage students to develop their own independent learning skills and monitor their progress through regular tests and written feedback reports. These courses are designed to give students a structured and enjoyable way to progress in English and to achieve the learning targets they set for themselves.
All English language levels are acceptable for this course. However, beginners must follow an intensive 32 lesson course for at least the first month of their course. This course must include 15 hours of General English lessons plus an extra 10 hours of our “Additional English” elective each week.
For more information on finding the most suitable English course for your needs please use our contact us form to email one of our sales agents.
Course Length & Start Dates
The minimum course length is 1 week. There is no maximum course length.
Courses start every Monday for all levels except beginners. Beginners classes start on the first Monday of each month - please see our price list for more details.
Our General English course is known as Main 20 as it consists of 20 lessons (15 hours of teaching time) per week. Students receive 3 hours of teaching time and a 20 minute coffee break each weekday morning between 09:00 – 12:20 (times may be different during July and August).
As well as having 15 hours of teaching each week as part of the standard General English course, students also have the option to upgrade their studies by choosing any of our elective classes. We have two courses of upgrades available:
- Intensive 26 is our first upgrade and includes 26 lessons (20 hours of teaching time) per week. This course consists of 15 hours of General English tuition and 2 afternoons of an elective course (an extra 5 hours) per week.
- Intensive 32 is our final upgrade and includes 32 lessons (25 hours of teaching time) per week. This course consists of 15 hour of General English tuition and 4 afternoons of up to two elective courses (an extra 10 hours) per week.
Students receive two and a half hours of teaching time and a 20 minute coffee break during each elective class. Lessons take place from Monday to Thursday between 13:30 and 16:20 (times may be different during July and August). Our elective classes allow students to focus their studies on specific areas of English language in order to achieve their own personal goals. Students can choose from a range of elective subjects that includes: English for Business, IELTS preparation, English for Academic Purposes or one of the skills development subjects – Listening, Pronunciation, Speaking or Writing. To view our electives brochure, simply click on the icon located on the left hand side of this page.
- To improve the confidence of each student when using English
- To improve the core skills (speaking, writing, reading and listening) of each student
- To improve each student’s understanding of English structures, rules and grammar
- To provide a platform for students’ continued language learning after they leave us
- The cost of a two week Main 20 course starts at £420. Please consult our main school price list located on the left hand side of this page for more details on pricing and further course options
- The minimum enrolment age for this course is 16. Students aged between 16 and 17 will be considered as Young Adults - please click here to find out more about Young Adult courses.
- The maximum class size on this course is 15 students, average class size is 10.5 students.
- The school is closed on the following UK bank holiday dates in 2017 – 02/01, 14/04, 17/04, 01/05, 29/05, 28/08, 25/12 and 26/12
- The school is closed from 18th December 2018 to 2nd January 2019 for this year’s Christmas holiday
- Course textbooks are available to hire for all adult students but we do require an initial deposit (approx. £30). Students will change their course books as they progress up through the school levels. At the end of their course students have a choice to either return their final book to our bookshop and receive back their full deposit (providing the book is undamaged) or simply take the book home with them
- For afternoon elective classes, the teacher will bring in all the class materials that students need