The use of English as the international means of communication in the workplace continues to grow. For some students, classroom learning is simply not enough to give them a professional edge. At Churchill House we offer work experience programmes that include a General English language course (a minimum of four weeks) at our school followed by a work placement in a profession of the student’s choice. Our work experience courses improve a student’s over-all level of English and their work-related language skills. Students also gain practical work experience as well as confidence in their ability to function in an English-speaking working environment. Work experience placements for foreign students are a great opportunity, as they allow students to speak directly to customers and members of staff, which helps to enhance their level of English. We offer two main types of work experience programme:
This programme includes a standard General English course at our Ramsgate main school followed by a placement at a hotel in which students will live and work. The hotels we use are based in rural locations throughout the UK and Ireland.
This programme is aimed at students needing to gain experience in a working hospitality environment in which the use of English is important. At the end of their placement, students will receive a certificate which states the hours they studied at the school and includes the dates of their work experience placement. This course and its certificate are the perfect addition to any student’s CV when looking for future employment in the hospitality industry.
- Accommodation will be provided either onsite or nearby at each hotel
- Accommodation will be a shared room with a member of the same sex
- The cost of the room will be deducted from the student’s wages
- This programme is unavailable between the months of October and March
This programme includes a standard General English course at our Ramsgate main school followed by an internship at a company in the student’s chosen field (such as accounts, retail, catering, or business management). These internships may be based anywhere in the UK and all positions are unpaid, meaning that students will need to arrange and pay for their own accommodation, meals, travel and any other living costs.
This programme is aimed at students looking to gain experience in a specific profession/industry in which the use of English is important. Unpaid internships are a good way to get practical experience in an industry that is unlikely to hire new staff without a working knowledge of the sector.
At the end of their placement, students will receive a certificate which states the hours they studied at the school and includes the dates of their work experience placement. This course and its certificate are the perfect addition to any student’s CV when looking for future employment within their chosen profession.
We can only accept students on this course that hold a European passport or are able to obtain a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa. For more information about Tier 5 visas please click here.
Students must have a minimum English level of intermediate in both writing and speaking to enrol on this course.
Course Length & Start Dates
Our General English courses that precede the work placements start at a minimum of 4 weeks. There is no maximum course length. The duration of a work placement can range between 3-12 months.
We can accept almost any Monday start date for students looking to book our work experience programme.
General English Classes
Our General English classes consists of 20 lessons (15 hours of teaching time) per week. Students receive 3 hours of teaching time and a 20 minute coffee break each weekday morning between 09:00 – 12:20 (times may be earlier during July and August).
As well as having 15 hours of teaching each week as part of the standard General English course, students also have the option to upgrade their studies by choosing any of our elective classes. We have two courses of upgrades available:
- Intensive 26 is our first upgrade and includes 26 lessons (20 hours of teaching time) per week. This course consists of 15 hours of General English tuition and 2 afternoons of an elective course (an extra 5 hours) per week
- Intensive 32 is our final upgrade and includes 32 lessons (25 hours of teaching time) per week. This course consists of 15 hour of General English tuition and 4 afternoons of two elective courses (an extra 10 hours) per week
Students receive two and a half hours of teaching time and a 20 minute coffee break during each elective class. Lessons take place from Monday to Thursday. Generally, our summer elective classes are scheduled from 13:30 to 16:20, although this may change if necessary. Our elective classes allow students to focus their studies on specific areas of English language in order to achieve their own personal goals. Students can choose from a range of elective subjects that includes: English for Business, IELTS preparation, English for Academic Purposes or one of the skills development subjects – Listening, Pronunciation, Speaking or Writing. To view our electives brochure, simply click on the icon located on the left hand side of this page.
- To prepare students for entering into a new working environment where the use of English is essential
- To improve the confidence of students using vocabulary and terminology specific to the field of work
- To help students experience an English-speaking work environment
- The pricing of this course consists of two elements, a weekly charge for a General English course and a one-off payment to set up your choice of work experience placement
- The cost of a four week General English course starts at £840. Please consult our main school price list located on the left hand side of this page for more details on pricing and course options
- The one-off price for a paid live-in hospitality placement on this course is £395
- The one-off price for an internship on this course is £450
- Our work experience programmes are only available for students aged between 18-35 years of age
- The maximum class size for our standard General English classes on this course is 14
- The school is closed on the following UK bank holiday dates in 2017 – 02/01, 14/04, 17/04, 01/05, 29/05, 28/08, 25/12 and 26/12
- The school is closed from 16th December 2017 to 1st January 2018 for this year’s Christmas holiday
- Course textbooks are free for all adult students but we do require an initial deposit (approx. £30). Students will change their course books each month as they progress up through the school levels. At the end of their course students have a choice to either return their final book to our bookshop and receive back their full deposit (providing the book is undamaged) or simply take the book home with them
- For afternoon elective classes, the teacher will bring in all the class materials that students need