Our objective is to teach each student as much useful English as possible in a professional and caring manner whatever the length of their stay.
How do we achieve this?
- The efficiency and professionalism of our teaching department means we can keep our quality of teaching high at all times
- Our experienced teaching staff use interactive whiteboard technology and up-to-date teaching methods
- We take a personal interest in our students and their studies at all times
- We monitor learning over the course of a student’s stay with us and help guide them through a well-designed pathway of English learning
- We offer a wide range of courses with different starting dates to ensure that students study what is appropriate at a time that is convenient for them
Fulfilling these aims helps us ensure that students move successfully towards their own learning targets.
The chart below briefly defines the various language levels that we use to place students in classes. Progress is dependent upon the number of hours studied each week and upon personal aptitude and motivation.
To ensure that all our students progress during their time with us we will:
- Consult each student on which course to take and how long to study
- Assess their English level prior to the course starting
- Continually monitor and advise each student on their progress
This process begins from the moment a student starts looking at our website or brochure and usually follows the procedure outlined below:
- A student chooses a course that interests them and contacts one of our sales agents
- Their sales agent will offer advice on the price, dates and goals of their chosen course
- The sales agent will then contact the teaching department with the student’s specific requests to ensure that the chosen course is available and appropriate
- Once agreed upon, the teaching department will then begin assessing the English level of the student
- If it becomes apparent that the chosen course is not appropriate for the student’s English level, the teaching department will then consult with the student and their sales agent to help alter the course to suit their abilities
The process above charts how we ensure a student is booked on the most appropriate course before their arrival. Once any student has begun their course here in Ramsgate, our teaching department are readily available for anybody to come in and discuss their changing needs.
Level Assessment and Monitoring Progress
To help you move successfully towards your own learning targets, regardless of the length of your stay, we aim to teach you as much useful English as possible in a professional and caring manner. Our very experienced teaching staff will enable you to develop learning skills that will be of use to you long after you leave us.
How do we teach?
We teach English to small groups so we are able to provide the student with a more personal learning experience. Our experienced teachers are able to spend more time with the students, working on their skills and developing their confidence in using the language. Lessons are communicative – students are encouraged to take an active part in the class – while also providing a structured programme of learning so that students constantly progress towards their goals. We use modern teaching practices in our classes with course books chosen specially for the classes which are supplemented with adapted original materials and multimedia exercises delivered on Interactive Whiteboards. Students are also encouraged to use the other school facilities to practice their English. We have a fully equipped computer room with Rosetta Stone independent learning software so that students can practise their pronunciation/listening skills and a choice of books they can use to practice their reading. We also encourage students to use the English learned in the classroom when taking part in the school’s many social activities or just relaxing in the clubroom.
How we help students achieve their goals
We understand how important it is to identify a student’s learning needs at the start of their course and work with them throughout their stay to ensure that they continually improve towards achieving their personal goals.
To help you achieve your goals at Churchill House, we will:
- Assess your level prior to the course starting through an online test
- Give you a personal interview on arrival to get a better understanding of your skills and needs to choose the best class for your ability
- Provide you with a written schedule of the syllabus you will study in each module
- Continually monitor and advise you on your progress throughout your stay via written progress reports and individual progress tutorials (given by your teacher)
- Suggest additional elective classes to help you with specific areas they need to work on e.g. exam preparation, writing
- Encourage you to join in with other students on our social programme