Summer Centre Manager
Based at: One of Churchill House School of English Language (CHSoEL) summer centre sites.
Position Reports to: Summer Centres Director, Head Office, Ramsgate.
Job Purpose Summary: To manage all aspects of the assigned summer centre to the standards required by CHSoEL and its stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Centre Manager is responsible to the Summer Centres Director and ensures the smooth running of the Centre and takes overall responsibility for:
• Managing the CHSoEL management and staff and ensuring that the Company's policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to.
• Ensuring the safety and welfare of all students and staff at all times.
• Implementing the Child Protection Policies - the Centre Manager is the designated Child Protection Co-ordinator (DCPC), full details in the Centre Manager's Manual.
• Ensuring the academic programme is correctly managed by the DOS team.
• Ensuring the activity programme is correctly managed by the Activity Manager and their team.
• Ensuring that student behaviour is of the required standard and that non-accidental damage is kept to a minimum.
• Carrying out the induction of centre staff, with the help of the DOS and Activity Manager.
• Ensuring that all stipulated paper work is submitted to Head office on or before the deadlines set.
• Overseeing the implementation of transfers.
• Ensuring the keeping of accurate data with regard to student occupancy (bed lists, fire lists, catering lists etc).
• Ensuring the keeping of accurate records of all expenditure.
• Developing a good working relationship with the host institution.
• Organising the staff rota and ensuring that the HR resources of the Centre are utilised in an equitable manner.
• Ensuring that students and staff are accommodated in appropriate places.
• Ensuring that catering, laundry and other housekeeping duties are carried out in accordance with the pre-arranged Service Agreement.
• Establishing and maintaining effective communication between the Centre, the clients and Head Office.
Hours of Work
Centre Managers work six days out of seven. The nature of the job requires CHSoEL Centre Managers to be flexible and willing to address situations whenever they arise.
Centre Managers start on the twelfth rung of the Company's Management Pay Scale. Increments are paid depending upon the complexity of the sites involved. Returning Centre Managers are on the fifteenth rung of the Management Pay Scale. The Centre Manager position is the most senior post outside of Head Office, with the exception of the Roving Managers - who are direct representatives of the Summer Centres Director. We aim to retain good staff by giving them excellent support from Head Office.
Job Title: Centre Manager
Highly-motivated, energetic and personable. An excellent communicator and problem solver who works well under pressure and works efficiently within tight deadlines. Able to maintain a relaxed but still authoritative working environment. Able to multi-task without losing track of the bigger picture.
Able to live-in at the Centre for the duration of the Centre's operational period. Able to work extended hours when necessary. Not restricted by family commitments. Ability to drive is preferred.
Specific Job Skills
• Effective management skills.
• Ability to lead a team.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Diplomacy and tact.
• A calm approach to problem solving.
• Effective financial management skills.
Throughout the summer, Centre Managers are supported by the various Heads of Department at the main school in Ramsgate to ensure that the resources required are available to implement the high standards of customer care that CHSoEL clients expect.
• Previous summer school residential experience.
• Previous experience of working with overseas students.
The role of Centre Manager does not require any formal qualifications. However, as a senior management role certain educational achievements (or their equivalents) are strongly preferred:
• Degree level or above education.
• Recognised TEFL qualification: CELTA, CertTESOL, DELTA, DipTESOL, MA (or British Council recognised equivalents).
• Managerial qualifications and evidence of managerial training.
• A sound knowledge of MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Access) and their use.
It is a prerequisite of the position that all Centre Managers attend the management training sessions from Monday 2nd July 2012 (accommodation will be paid for and up to £75 travel expenses will be reimbursed). Full details of the training sessions will be sent at a later date.
Core duties include, but are not limited to:
• Site management.
o Ensuring the safety and well-being of all staff and clients.
o Liaising with the host institution's staff.
o Ensuring the conditions of use (the Service Agreement) are adhered to.
o Monitoring and limiting damage to the site and its furnishings and equipment.
• People management.
o Managing and motivating the CHSoEL team.
o Monitoring performance of the DOS and Activity Manager.
o Liasing with Group Leaders and ensuring that Group Leaders carry out their agreed commitments.
o Monitoring and maintaining discipline within the staff and students.
o Dealing with any grievances or complaints.
o Preparing accommodation lists and dealing with rooming requests and requirements.
o Preparing catering requirements and liasing with the site's catering provider.
o Preparing staff rotas.
o Monitoring and maintaining all paperwork and ensuring that it is submitted on or before the deadlines set by Head Office.
o Daily reporting to Head Office.
A full list of duties and responsibilities is given in the Centre Manager's Manual.
Page last updated 19 December 2011
New Student Transfers System
Churchill House customers can now organise their arrival and departure transfers online.
It is now official… excellent quality and great value.
We are really pleased to announce that we have been short listed for not one but two awards.
Welcome to our new website
Please let us know what you think.
Join our site
It's free to join. Take part in the discussions on our site, receive news of events and special offers, and keep in touch with old and new Churchill House friends.