Frequently Asked Questions – Staff

People ask us lots of questions about working with us. These are some of the common ones.

We also send out a Staff Handbook and a centre information sheet to all staff before you start work with us, so you will also find a lot of information there as well.

Applying to Churchill House

I am a teacher, what kind of qualifications do I need to teach at Churchill House?

We are a British Council accredited school so your qualifications have to meet the TEFLI standard. Usually, this means a recognised English teaching qualification such as a Cambridge CELTA or a Trinity Cert. TESOL. Some other qualifications might be acceptable, but please check before applying.

Do I need to be a UK resident?

No, you do not need to be a UK resident to work with us, but you must provide proof that you are eligible to work in the UK at the recruitment stage. If you're an EU citizen, we will need to have your Right To Work code/proof prior to interview. If you need a work permit to work in the UK, we will need to see that as well.

Starting Work

Do I need to bring my original copies of qualifications?

Yes, you need to bring an original version of your ID, Certificate of Good Conduct (police check from your country,) teaching qualifications, degrees, and any other relevant qualifications. You do not need to bring your DBS certificate with you unless you have subscribed to the DBS update service.

I did a safeguarding course before/I did the safeguarding training last year, do I need to do it again?

Safeguarding is part of the induction all staff must do before the start employment with us.

Do I need to send a photo for my Staff ID Badge?

We do not require a photo for your ID – it will be taken at the centre.

I don’t have a UK bank account yet, what should I do?

We cannot pay staff in cash, so you will need a bank account to get paid. If you don’t have a current UK bank account there are three options:

  1. Open a bank account when you arrive in the UK – please let us know and we can give a letter proving that you work for us. High street banks don’t always make this easy so you can try option 2.
  2. Open an account with an online bank such as Revolut . You can use the Head Office address to receive the debit card from them (we will send it on to the school) as long as you change the address later.
  3. If you can wait to the end of your contract to get paid, we can transfer your wages in one lump sum to an overseas account. Please note this incurs an international transaction fee of £25 –let us know if you would like to use this option and we will send you the appropriate form.
Is there a uniform?

Yes, we provide t-shirts and hoodies depending on your role. Uniform must be worn by any member on staff working on activities or going off site on an excursion. Teachers should dress smartly for teaching and wear their uniform when on activities or excursions.

What time do I have to start work on my first day?

All staff should be at the centre by 12.30 ready for a 13.00 start on your first day.

Can I choose where I work?

You can specify a centre preference during your interview, though we will talk to successful applicants about potential vacancies because we can’t guarantee there will be a place for you at a specific centre.

Will I get reimbursed for my travel to the centre?

No. Staff must incur their own expenses for travelling to and from work.

Can I sleep onsite the night before my contract begins?

Accommodation is only available from the day your contract begins.

What happens on induction day?

Training starts at 13.00. This will take the form of a full staff induction, briefing staff on company policies and procedures and more details about the day-to-day running of your centre. You will have a site tour and time to get familiar with the facilities. This is also a great time to ask any questions about the role/your duties and get to know your team.

After induction is over you will be allocated a bedroom and given a tour of the centre.

Are meals provided on induction day?

The first meal you will receive dinner at about 7pm, so please organise your day accordingly.

Residential Staff

How many hours will I work per week?

ALs, SLOs, Centre Administrators and Teachers are contracted for 48 hours per week which is spread over six days.

What day will I have off each week?

Your day off will be scheduled by your Centre Manager. This information will be available on the rota on the notice board by 12:00 noon on Fridays. If you have a specific date that you need to have off, please let Head Office know in advance so we can look at working around it.

Am I expected to stay on campus at all times?

No. Staff are free to leave campus in their own time (when they are not on the rota to work) and on days off. Please make sure you sign out when leaving site and back in on return.

What should I bring with me?

Please bring your own towels, hairdryer and toiletries. If you wish to bring hair straighteners or tongs please be very careful with them –any kind of damage caused to your room is your responsibility and the venue will charge you for the damage. Irons are usually available at the site, for any ironing you wish to do. It’s a good idea to bring comfortable sports shoes as you will be on your feet for lots of the day and remember to pack a light water-proof coat in case of rain. You will also need sports kit to take part in activities.

Can I have a glass of wine/beer in my room after work?

No. No alcohol is allowed on-site.

I smoke. Is there a designated smoking area at my school?

Each of our centres has different policies and regulations regarding smoking. It is illegal to smoke in any school buildings (the venue can bar you from site if you break that rule) but some schools have a designated smoking area and others require staff to smoke off site.

Are there laundry facilities?

All centres provide a laundry service or (sometimes) access to a washing machine. Where it is a service, it is usually done once a week and often by a contractor, so please ensure your items are together and labelled with your name inside.

Can I bring/use my own laptop?

There are computers available on site, but you may bring your own for personal use and for making lesson/activity plans. You must not use personal computers or mobile devises for handling student data under any circumstances due to data protection laws. All centres have WIFI around the campus which can be used to connect to the internet for phones, tablets and personal computers, though there may be some restrictions on what you can use the school’s connection for.

What facilities/resources are available for teachers?

We provide course materials, stationery and photocopiers. Some classrooms have computer access/IWBs – the DOS will tell you what is available during the induction.

Is car parking available at the centres?

All centres have some car parking on site.

What time can I leave on my last day of work?

You could be on the rota up until 11.30pm on the last day of your contract so please make provisions for this with your travel arrangements.

Background Checks

What is a DBS check?

DBS is the Disclosure and Barring Service which helps companies make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children.

Do I need a DBS check?

Yes. In order to work with children, it is a company requirement that all employees have a DBS check.

I had my DBS check done last year when I worked for Churchill house. Do I need to obtain a new one?

All staff are required to have a current DBS certificate. If you are signed up for the update service, we will need to see a copy of your original certificate and permission to perform a check.

What is the DBS Update Service and how do I register for it?

The DBS Update Service is a subscription scheme that allows you to keep your DBS certificate open, so you don’t have to apply for a new one when you go for another job. It costs about £14 per year and you have to join the service within 10 days of the certificate being issued i.e. the date on the email telling you it has been completed. You can register at

What if I am an overseas resident?

All non-UK residents must obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from their local authorities. The original should be brought with you to the centre.

If you have any further questions which we haven’t answered here, you can write to us at

Applying To Work For Us

Please read the job description for the position you are interested in before you apply.

Need More Information? We’re Here To Help